The CBORD Group
A leading provider of: (i) Stored-value card systems for college and university, healthcare and other markets, providing integrated, card-based software and hardware systems that managed cashless payments campus-wide on a “closed loop” basis; and (ii) Foodservice management software used in industries including healthcare, education and food service that significantly enhanced a customer’s ability to control costs and efficiently manage its foodservice operations.
Sterling as Partners
Significant strategic and add-on acquisitions
- Sterling led the negotiations and invested additional capital to support CBORD’s strategic acquisition of the card systems division of Diebold, Inc. (NYSE: DBD), one of the top three competitors in the education space with a leading position in larger universities. This acquisition put CBORD in a clear market leadership position in stored value cards for the college and university market, and significantly increased CBORD’s campus security product offering.
- Sterling worked closely with management on the acquisition of the nation’s largest student discount program, which provided a direct relationship between the Company and students.
Investment in new products and services
- Sterling helped CBORD develop its strategy to leverage its leadership in on-campus stored value cards to cards that could also be used off campus, a key target growth market providing recurring transaction fee revenues.
- Sterling supported investment in internal and third party resources to build and execute the business plan, and the acquisition of an emerging provider of off-campus stored value card transaction processing that enabled faster entry into this segment.
- Key senior executive hires in operations and sales & marketing.